Wednesday, March 28, 2012

"Turn that bloody phone off and come back to bed!"

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/column-8/column-8-20120327-1vwkw.html

Sydney Morning Herald
28 March 2012

Column 8

''After a busy day I settled down in my train from Southern Cross for a nap as far as my destination at Bendigo,'' writes Peter Nelson, ''when the chap sitting near me hauled out his mobile and started up. 'Hi darling it's Peter, I'm on the train - yes, I know it's the 6.30 not the 4.30, but I had a long meeting - no, not with that floozie from the typing pool, with the boss. No darling, you're the only one in my life - yes, I'm sure, cross my heart', etc, etc. This was still going on at Sunbury, when the young woman opposite, driven beyond endurance, yelled at the top of her voice 'Hey, Peter, turn that bloody phone off and come back to bed!''' [...]

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/column-8/column-8-20120328-1vyr4.html

Sydney Morning Herald
29 March 2012

Column 8

[...] Craig Preston, of Newtown, was one of many readers who gave Column 8 a right royal bucketing for running the first item in yesterday's column (''Put the phone down Peter and come back to bed!''). Quite apart from this anecdote doing the rounds of the internet for some weeks, we are told, Craig clinches its ancient origins by noting that ''the reference to the typing pool is a dead giveaway - who works in a typing pool these days?'' Hmm. It could be possible to date the story quite accurately on this basis - when in human history were typing pools and mobile phones in existence at the same time? [...]

No comments:

Post a Comment