Friday, March 25, 2016

Undertaker’s Journal Sent to U.S. Soldiers Fighting in France in WWI



Katharine Duncan Morse, The Uncensored Letters of a Canteen Girl (New York: Henry Holt and Company, 1920).

Bourmont, December 28 [1917]

Of late I have been moved to speculate wonderingly on the mental processes of the American public. I have been going through the stacks of magazines in the warehouse sent from the States for one cent per to provide amusement for the doughboys’ leisure moments. Among the rest I found the Upholsterer’s Monthly, The Hardware Dealer’s Journal, The Mother’s Magazine, Fancy Work and The Modern Needleworker. I showed some of these prizes to one of the boys; “Gee, but that’s the kind of snappy stuff to send a feller over the top!” was his comment. That numbers of the Undertaker’s Journal have also been discovered among the donations from home I have heard asserted on excellent authority, but as yet I have not personally come across any.