Monday, October 22, 2012

Sabotaged Recipes



http://www.uexpress.com/dearabby/?uc_full_date=20121022

Dear Abby
22 October 2012


DEAR ABBY: When my husband and I married, I thought I had hit the jackpot in mothers-in-law. We were becoming friends, going shopping together, etc. Boy, was I wrong. Now, five years later, I can't stand her. Just 15 minutes with her sends me over the edge. She's rude, judgmental, and gossips like a teenager about everyone.

She put together a cookbook for me filled with my husband's favorite recipes. Guess what? After trying half a dozen of them and failing at every one, I realized she had changed and added or omitted certain ingredients in every single one. When I asked about it, she told me she just wanted her son to prefer her cooking over mine. [...]



[In "Marie's Meatballs," the 19 January 1998 episode of the CBS sitcom Everybody Loves Raymond, Debra's mother-in-law, prodded by her son to give Debra cooking lessons, reluctantly agrees but sabotages the results by covering over the label on a bottle of tarragon with a label identifying it as basil.]