Sunday, January 24, 2010

Decapitated Teacher

Sydney Morning Herald
25 January 2010

Column 8

Appliance safety, and how a good story can only get better: ''Seeing your item regarding warning notices for ceiling fans reminded me of a time some years ago when my children came home from high school saying a teacher had been decapitated by a ceiling fan,'' writes Peter Pocock of Hornsby (Column 8, Thursday). ''As I knew the teacher in question I thought I'd better call and see if his head was still attached. He was still alive, but he'd had to go to hospital for stitches - obviously he didn't read those directions as he stood on a chair to open a window, not noticing the fan. His blood was sprayed and he received a nasty cut, but the way rumours work it became a decapitation. By the next day the story ran that he was still speaking as his head rolled across the classroom floor."