Tuesday, June 16, 2020

COVID-19 Brothel Lockdown – Severed Children’s Heads (WWII) – Bar Name Legend

Simon Young, “Folklore Multiplied,” Fortean Times #392 (May 2020), 31.

 

My favourite narrative to date seems to have originated in Spain before the lockdown was imposed there. A prostitute is infected and a doctor called. The doctor, recognising the symptoms of coronavirus, quarantines the brothel in which his patient is plying her trade along with everyone inside. The result: most of the city council, including the mayor, find themselves locked in a house of ill repute for 30 days.

 

=====

Dietmar Süss, Death from the Skies, Lesley Sharpe and Jeremy Noakes, trans. (Oxford University Press, 2014), 78.

 

The rumours picked up by the [Sicherheitsdienst (Security Service)] and the judicial authorities contained horror stories that make clear the extent to which ideas about the destructive power of air raids had grown. There was talk of people becoming burning torches and there was a report from Bayreuth that Hamburg women had taken the heads of their dead children with them when they were evacuated.

 

=====

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/entertainment_life/smiley_anders/article_55a64a58-ae5d-11ea-9b85-47b7698b31da.html

 

The Advocate [Baton Rouge, LA]

15 June 2020

 

Smiley: Weather shock for desert folks

 

Alex "Sonny" Chapman, of Ville Platte, gives this example of how the truth can ruin a good story: "In the '70s a bar on Baton Rouge's Highland Road was named Joe Reed’s. The story I heard was that one night before the bar was named, Joe Reed came in, got into a fight and beat up everybody there. The owners were so impressed they named the bar after the battler. Years later I was in Joe Reed’s and asked the bartender if that story was true. He laughed and pointed to a fellow a few stools down. 'That’s Joe Reed right there.' I asked him, and Joe Reed told me the true story: he had helped with opening the bar, so they used his name — since it had a good ring to it."


https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/entertainment_life/smiley_anders/article_da348bac-afea-11ea-a400-abcef6a209dc.html

 

The Advocate [Baton Rouge, LA]

17 June 2020

 

Smiley: Thawing out his love for Arizona

 

Smiley Anders

 

[…]

 

Glen Bynum tells about the naming of Joe Reed's, the Baton Rouge bar mentioned in the Tuesday column: "I was in LSU graduate school in the early '70s. During Christmas vacation I visited my best friend, a first year professor at Ohio State. He took me to a Christmas party at a student's home that had to be one of the best times I had ever experienced. On a spring visit, we attended the same student's spring party, where again I had a great time. In 1974, opening my first restaurant/bar on Highland Road, I was searching for a good name and thought, 'If I can create the fun atmosphere I experienced visiting my friend I need to name it after his student, Joe Reed.' "

No comments:

Post a Comment