Hull Daily Mail [UK]
29 August 2015
[…] The urban legend of the little boy from Hull who died after choking on a piece of chewing gum was used as a cautionary tale by parents across the city.
Now, the true story of the 12-year-old, who died in 1933, has been uncovered – and far from the grim tale that has been bandied around school playgrounds for decades, it tells a tale of a mother's heartache at losing her son.
The search to get to the truth started when Mike Covell, who runs Amazing Hull Tours, browsed the Facebook group Hull The Good Old Days.
There, people had posted about a little boy whose grave, a stone representation of him wearing his school cap, with his left hand leaning on a pillar, was inscribed with a rhyme about the perils of chewing bubble gum.
It apparently read: "Chewing gum is nasty, chewing gum is dirty, chewing gum wrapped round my heart and brought me to my grave." […]