Thursday, August 21, 2014

"Whorehouse" Listed on Credit Card Statement




Sydney Morning Herald [Australia]
22 August 2014


[…] More on foreshortened text confusion (Column 8, Tuesday), this time from Ross Miller, of Roseberry. "I remember, back when there was only Bankcard, that many husbands came under fire when their statement had a payment for 'Whorehouse' on it. That would be all that was printed after buying tickets to The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas." […]


New Scientist [UK]
16 June 2001


by Michael Lewis, Barnet, Hertfordshire

The problem of truncated subject lines is not confined to e-mails (Feedback,12 May). I still cringe at the memory of an item that appeared on my company credit card statement some years ago.

On a company trip to New York, I had taken my host to the popular musical then running called The Greatest Little Whorehouse in Texas to thank her for her hospitality. When I got my bill, the item read "Whorehouse in Texas $200". The finance director was furious. Not only was it immoral but I had wasted time travelling across the whole of the US in order to satisfy my needs.